Friday, May 21, 2010

My First Post

Okay, I'm not all too certain about what you're supposed to say on your first blog post; so I think I'll just say who I am, what is important to me, and the major things I've learned this past year. I'm a guitarist, a amateur writer, a reader, a sister, a daughter, and more importantly a christian; a believer in Jesus Christ the almighty God. I have so many different dreams of what I want to do when I get older. Dreams of living on the sea, being a mother to little girls, having a ranch or farm, getting a book published, and starting a christian radio station. But God has given me bigger dreams. I am learning to set helping other people over all of those, because no matter how much I want to be running around a ship in the middle of the ocean God has something better. When I get to heaven I'm going to sail around with Noah, help Adam milk the cows, and play guitar all day with David. Yet until then I must love God and serve others to prepare for his coming. God sure knew what I liked, because no matter how much I love playing Guitar, or the sea, or just reading a book, nothing can equal the joy of serving others. I am so glad I can serve my Lord Jesus Christ with my hands, a touch of encouragement, a loving smile, a song of praise, a prayer, and even just taking out the trash. For years I have fought the simple truth of surrendering. I would sneak cookies, weasel out of homework, and hope someone would say something when I did something good. I knew what I needed, but I didn't want to surrender to God. I was saved, wasn't that enough? After about fifty times of trying to get in the habit of reading my Bible, I started feeling guilty and read it everyday for two weeks straight. during that time God started working in my heart to surrender everything to him. I find that after I've surrendered everything to him, I am at peace with God, and there's nothing that will ever be able to take that peace from me. I keep having to ask the Lord to keep my focus on him, because I can't do it on my own. I find myself imagining myself as a famous guitar player, or the captain of a big cargo ship, but this is not keeping my focus on Christ. When I have my focus on God I don't want fame or fortune or any of the cool merchandise the world has to offer. When I am focused on God, there is God and nothing but God; so I am content in Him. Playing my guitar for a few old ladies in the nursing home gives me far more Joy than this world could give me.
As I look back over this past year I can see that God has helped me to overcome so many temptations to sin, yet there are more to come and God will bring me through or around them.

4 comments:

  1. This post is so humbling. I love you, my dear sister. You are learning so much! I love listening to how God is working in you/ how He is teaching you. So exciting!:) Thank you for being my Proverbs 27:27 friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog Jen!! 8) @}~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful first posts, Jen! Very thought provoking and true... :)

    Many Blessings,
    Moriah

    www.uniquelyfashionedforhisglory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete